The academic program at Venice YouthBuild fosters leadership and
skill-building through hands-on workshops and project-based learning in a
supportive and empowering classroom environment. Current students say
they most enjoy peer-to-peer feedback, positive staff support, and
dynamic classroom instruction that meets their diverse learning styles
as they work to earn their high school diploma and/or GED. One of the
many benefits of participating in our program is the chance for young
people to realize their full potential while experiencing a positive
transformation in a safe and nurturing learning community.
Social justice. Empowerment. Positive Transformation. These are the values infused throughout our leadership, high school diploma, and vocational training programs.
- Individualized High School Instruction at VCH's John Muir Charter School: giving participants another chance to earn their high school diploma
- Job Skills Classes: teaching students basic job skills and safety practices, with an emphasis on skills valuable to the construction industry
- Work Experience: allowing participants to gain valuable work experience on real construction sites while building or rehabilitating affordable housing
- Leadership Development and Community Service projects: helping participants take pride in themselves and their communities
- Career Guidance: helping participants gain careers and higher education through career counseling, job-readiness training, and job placement